This is a preserved jellyfish which can be commonly found in wet markets in Sarawak especially Sibu, Bintulu and Miri. It is another popular type of umai which is originated from Melanau ethnic. It is sold in brine water and can last very long. I bought the above at RM18/half kilo, and for 3-4 pax, I just needed about 200gm of this jellyfish which cost me about RM7.
Preparation of this preserved jellyfish umai is pretty simple, it only needs to be soaked in clean water for about 1-2 hours to remove the saltiness, and will be prepared as how other umai are done, except of adding salt in its seasoning.
|Umai Obor-Obor (Jellyfish Umai)|
1. 200gm preserved Jellyfish
2. 2cm ginger - julienne finely
3. 2 cloves garlic- slice finely
4. 2 Shallot - slice finely
5. 1 Chili - slice finely
6. 10 nos. calamansi lime - take the juice
7. Sugar to taste
8. Half a small onion - slice finely
1. 1cm ginger, 1 clove garlic, 2 shallots, 2 bird's eye chilies
1. Soak preserved jellyish in water for half to 1 hour to wash of the saltiness. Slice finely
2. Mix all ingredient together with the pounded ingredient. Add sugar to taste